The birds are chirping, the flowers are blooming, the days are lengthening – ah, yes it’s that time of year! Spring is finally settling in.
And as we all wake up from our winter haze, we may also be awakening to the need for some routine maintenance around the house. That’s right – it’s time for spring cleaning.
As you create your “honey-do” list, don’t forget your light fixtures. Read on for some lighting 101, practical Do’s and Don’ts for maintaining a beautiful fixture and extending the life of your favorite home accents.
- Clean your fixture regularly with a soft cloth using plain water or a mild detergent soap
- Use a non abrasive paste or liquid wax to provide extra protection (Turtle Wax or other non abrasive car wax)
- Make sure any cleaning or polishing cloth is free of abrasive material
- Don’t use abrasive materials or cleaners, or any products with ammonia or alcohol
- Don’t use any glass or general purpose cleaners, as most chemicals will damage the lacquer coating (i.e. Pledge, Windex, Endust, to name a few)
- Don’t use a rough textured cloth
Painted Light Fixtures
- Clean your fixture regularly with a dry soft cloth
- If necessary, use plain water or mild detergent soap
- Don’t use any abrasive materials or cleaners, such as products containing ammonia or alcohol
- Don’t clean your fixture with a rough textured cloth
Fluorescent Light Fixtures
- Remove lens and fluorescent bulbs from the fixture
- Clean your fixture, including bulbs, lens and any reflective surface with a soft dry cloth. If necessary, use a cloth slightly dampened with plain water or mild dish washing detergent
- Replace the bulbs and lens
- Don’t use any abrasive materials or cleaner
- Don’t use products containing ammonia or alcohol
- Don’t use a rough textured cloth to clean any component of your fixture
Call Glass Geeks
Of course, if any of these tips seem too time consuming, you can always count on the experts in San Antonio at Glass Geeks to give your light fixtures a professional clean.
To get a free quote for light fixture cleaning, or any of our other services for your home or commercial property, click here.